View Single Post
Old 12-19-2022, 04:46 PM   #13
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
I've had a watering system on my trailers for several years with no ill effects or worries of freezing. All the cells of the batteries are connected by tubing that is fed by a longer tube with a squeeze bulb on it. You immerse the end of the feed hose into a bottle of distilled water and pump water in until it's full - it has a one way in live valve that prevents water from backing out under pressure. When the cells are full (bulb will not compress) you just pull the hose from the distilled water jug, disconnect the lower fill line and drain then depress the one way valve to drain the lines at the batteries. There is no water to freeze anywhere other than what's in the battery being charged. It is hands down (light years) better than trying to top off batteries the "old fashioned way".
There's two (maybe even more) types of "battery watering systems".

The one you have is a manual system, squeeze the bulb to add water.
Another type is the "fully automatic type" that uses gravity to keep the battery cells filled with water from a "always connected tank".

That's the type I was referring to. With a container of distilled water sitting above the batteries, as soon as the temperature falls below freezing, all the lines will be "solid ice" and the watering system will stop working.

Here's a couple of figures to show the difference. Yours, no problem with cold weather. The gravity system, however..... NOPE...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	battery water system hand pump.JPG
Views:	111
Size:	26.3 KB
ID:	42495   Click image for larger version

Name:	battery water system gravity fill.JPG
Views:	109
Size:	46.2 KB
ID:	42496  

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS