View Single Post
Old 12-19-2022, 04:06 PM   #12
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
I realize the comment in red, on your part, a "historical account of past equipment"... That said, for anyone who currently is using a "battery watering system", remember that it must be filled with distilled water and, in extremely cold weather, that watering system WILL freeze if not heated. So, essentially, using a "battery watering system" while in storage in freezing temperatures is impractical for almost everyone. If you do have a "battery watering system" be sure to empty it and protect it from damage during freezing temperatures.

I've had a watering system on my trailers for several years with no ill effects or worries of freezing. All the cells of the batteries are connected by tubing that is fed by a longer tube with a squeeze bulb on it. You immerse the end of the feed hose into a bottle of distilled water and pump water in until it's full - it has a one way in live valve that prevents water from backing out under pressure. When the cells are full (bulb will not compress) you just pull the hose from the distilled water jug, disconnect the lower fill line and drain then depress the one way valve to drain the lines at the batteries. There is no water to freeze anywhere other than what's in the battery being charged. It is hands down (light years) better than trying to top off batteries the "old fashioned way".
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote