View Single Post
Old 12-01-2022, 03:18 PM   #7
Golf travel

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiredgeorge View Post
Typically, for safety sake, hitch weight can reliably be estimated at 13 percent of gross weight. As has already been pointed out the listed hitch weight is not a real number. Also, tow rating is seldom the limiting factor but payload is. With this 8800 lb gross weight camper, hitch weight will be north of 1100 lbs and even though you claim you won't load much in the truck or trailer, every seasoned camper will tell you that you probably will be up near gross weight limit. OK, you and girl friend's weight, hitch and anything else in the truck will quickly push your payload.

Problem is, most folks don't realize that MANY 3/4 ton trucks don't have much more payload than your 1/2 ton. My sister has a Ram Laramie 2500 with an 1800 lb payload. Keep that in mind and once your gal has driven a heavy duty truck, she might just find there is little difference than driving a 1/2 ton.
I like the idea of a 3/4-1 ton super duty or duramax. Again I just don’t like losing the generator. I’m weary of solar and know I can’t depend on it. Maybe some quiet generator solutions would help. Or maybe just a smaller trailer 😔
Golf travel is offline   Reply With Quote