View Single Post
Old 02-22-2020, 08:52 AM   #64
dutchmensport

Yes, something to think about: If you use a hitch system where the "ball" is on the truck and the trailer uses the female coupler, even on a fifth wheel version, you'll need to use safety chains. If you use a goose neck style hitch system, you'll need safety chains. I'm pretty sure almost all 50 states require safety chains with goosneck style hitch systems.

On the other hand, you already have the puck system in your truck. Personally, I'd use a hitch that matches the puck system, if that is Andersen or something else.

Next, you need to consider, unless you had the dealership swap this out, your fifth wheel pin box will need to be switched or, or adapted from the traditional 5th wheel pin box to the gooseneck style pinbox, or an adaptor that fits the trailer fifth wheel.

About the strength or weakness of the Andersen. From what I've read on many, many forums, the critics are usually those who do not have, or have ever used the Andersen system. Those with good evaluations, are almost always those who actually have them. Please take that with a grain of salt.

Good luck in your choice.