Thread: Upgraded
View Single Post
Old 01-12-2021, 12:09 PM   #8
markcee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamesmasten09 View Post
Hello, here is a link to the excel for my RV and truck. It’s a spreadsheet I pulled off of Keep your daydream’s website. https://1drv.ms/x/s!AiOUuNz_wrPYgz7XmIIJyu7k2lw5
Welcome James!

Your truck's curb weight is not 3800 pounds. Provided the payload figure you posted (1684) is actually from the sticker on your door, your truck's curb weight, as it left the factory (with an assumed full tank of fuel) was 5366 pounds. This is calculated as your truck's GVWR (7050) minus door sticker Payload Capacity (1684). Remember that sticker payload is only 'good' as long as you added nothing extra to the truck after purchase (bedliner, tonneau, heavier tires, toolbox, etc.). Anything added after the fact, reduces that sticker payload accordingly.

Let's assume you still have a starting payload of 1684 pounds. From this deduct the following for your trailer:

1300 lbs tongue weight (13% of 10K trailer GVWR)
100 lbs for the hitch
400 lbs for people
100 lbs for miscellaneous items in the truck bed

This adds up to 1900 lbs - 384 pounds over your truck's payload rating.

I am also not trying to rain on your parade. I was in the exact same boat as you with a '19 'max tow' and a 9500 GVWR 33' trailer. It was nearly impossible not to be right at or slightly over my payload and rear axle rating and I started with 200 pounds more payload than you have.

To get the most accurate assessment, load up your truck completely for camping (all passengers, all gear, the hitch), fuel up the tank and hit the CAT scale. Subtract your truck's actual weight from 7050. What's left is what you have to support your trailer's tongue weight.
markcee is offline   Reply With Quote