View Single Post
Old 09-21-2013, 10:23 AM   #9
ktmracer

Quote:
Originally Posted by CampinHunter View Post
My wife and I bought a 2014 Springdale 282BHSSR for many reasons. Affordability, ability to trail it with a half ton RAM, place to stay while hunting, and trips with our 2 children in the summertime.

We both hunt during the fall/winter. Obviously the place we trail our unit is going to be a place which we have zero hookups. It's quite warm in the mountains of Virginia during October, so we are looking into buying one or two inverter generators to parallel together to provide us AC in the fall and electricity to our unit throughout the hunting season, which will get just below freezing (20 degrees) by January.

We have looked at Honda inverter generators for the low noise factor and solid constant power. Our idea was to buy two Honda 2000 watt generators and parallel them to give us 4000 surge / 3200 constant watts and spend around $2100 to get more than a Honda 3000 would give us for the same price.

Ultimately, I want to get us up and running with everything working except maybe the microwave which I know draws a lot of power. AC, TV, and Lights mainly because everything else can run off the propane. Just want to know if my thinking is correct. Could I run everything we intend to run off of the Honda 3000 or should I go for the extra wattage of 2 2000 units?
Go for the two 2000's. That's what we did.
Why?
1) the honda 3000 is HEAVY, a real beast to move around. Yes it is a little quiter, but the weight is a deal breaker for us. (The honda 3000 handy is MUCH noiser than the 2000's or the "real" 3000 BTW)
2) most of the time we need 2000W or less and grabbing a 2000 is easy and works great.
3) It's easy to make or buy an extended run fuel tank for the 2000's. I have a 6 gallon, will run both 2000's all weekend long when we need the AC
4) the capacity is a little more than the 3000, not much,
5) The cost is virtually the same
6) with the 2000's paralleled we can start/run the AC easily and once AC is running the microwave (1200W) or hair dryer etc. Basically with the paralleled 2000's you can pretty much run what you can run from a 30A service. The only caviet is that to start the AC in most cases can't have a microwave or something else with a heavy draw running.

Unless it is real hot and we are at high altitude, I can leave the hondas on eco throttle and it will start the AC easily. Above about 4,000ft on hot days it needs to be "off" eco throttle to start the AC.

IMHO the reason to buy the 3000 is if you want electric start and a few db quiter generator and are willing to move the thing around.

2004 Silverado CC/SB/ 4x4 Duramax
Pace 14' bike hauler with full living quarters
ktmracer is offline   Reply With Quote