View Single Post
Old 06-28-2021, 12:10 PM   #109
CWtheMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayfield View Post
I made a mistake on the specific tire in my last post. The tire I will be purchasing will be the GY Endurance trailer tire. The specific tire will have a load rating that meets or exceeds the currently installed Trailer King tires. I wasn’t necessarily asking for specifics on load or speed ratings, I was asking for opinions from those who have owned the those two brands of tires that I mentioned. However, I thank you for your response concerning the technical specifics of trailer tires.
Sometimes there is a bug in the ointment.

The Trailer King ST235/80R16 LRE provides 3520# of load capacity at 80 PSI.

The GY Endurance ST235/80R16 LRE provides 3420# of load capacity at 80 PSI.

However, there is an out if you want to go that way. FMVSS addresses that topic and ruled that tires of the same designated size and load range with different load capacities at the same PSI will default to the lowest load capacity. There is a caveat, the vehicle manufacturer may use the highest load capacity with a letter of approval from NHTSA.

On numerous occasions, Keystone used ST235/80R16 LRE tires on trailers with vehicle certified 7000# axles with NHTSA approval.

Those fitments - no matter what brand - had a history of very early catastrophic failures with thousands of $$$ in trailer damages.

There is an error in the certification label below. It was reported numerous times but Keystone never did a placard recall.

Click image for larger version

Name:	1 Keystone 2-23-21 .jpg
Views:	58
Size:	238.0 KB
ID:	34331
CWtheMan is offline   Reply With Quote