View Single Post
Old 06-25-2021, 01:47 PM   #25
dutchmensport

I suppose, because we have a fire pit at home, and we do a lot of fires at home, our diet at home is really no different than when we travel with the camper. We have our favorite foods, camping or not. But we do have 1 unique "tradition" we've been doing for about 35 years now (actually, the first time my wife and I went camping together using the back of a pick up truck for our bed)...

On the first camp-out of the season, upon arrival at the first campsite, first night there, we have wine and cheese and some kind of gourmet crackers. Even when the kids were little, we would bring along sparkling grape juice for them. When the kids were older and no longer with us, and now we had a travel trailer, we'd add a single candle to the dinette table. It was always romantic and elegant.

The second tradition, which started the same time, on the first morning of the first camp-out of the new season, or new year, (which ever came first), we'd celebrate breakfast with T-bone steak and eggs and later we added home-made hash browns. When the kids were still little and still with us, they got T-bone also. Our dog always got the bones when we were done. We've been doing this for 35 years now and have not missed yet.

In 2021, on January 2 this year, we headed to Georgia for 5 weeks. We had our wine and cheese that night at a KOA and the next morning, before breaking camp, I still fixed the T-bone, eggs, and hash browns. I think that's the earliest in the year we've ever done it.