View Single Post
Old 06-08-2012, 09:03 AM   #8
chris199

The difference is the West Coast designation.....

More than the weight of the trailer, all 1/2 ton towers need to pay attn more to exceeding PAYLOAD and the GVWR of the truck and the weight per axle. I tow with a 2012 Tundra with basically 10,000 towing capacity (actual 9700 I believe) BUT I am 200 lbss over payload with my TT tongue weight. Published Tongue weight is like 755.....actual is 940 or so. I am hundreds of pounds under the axle rating on each of the front and rear axles. Towing with a Hensley hitch and sway has not been an issue so far. Seems to tow fine. My TT weighs less than 7800 or so. There is NO WAY I could tow more trailer. And I'm basically 2,000 lb under the Tundra's capacity. May move to a 2500 Duramax diesel next year. Am going to see how the Tundra handles this setup. Have bbeen on 2 trips so far and the tow seems fine. Certainly feel like it is under control.

Strongly suggest you load up ur truck as if for a trip, fill the gas tank, and account for the real wgt of any passengers and take your rig to a CAT scale and weighing:
1.) Entire rig all hooked up.....truck front axle on one scale, truck rear axle on 2nd scale, and TT axles on 3rd scale.
2.) Truck on one scale, tongue on scale #2, TT axles on scale #3.
3.) Truck on one scale, TT on separate scale.

Tongue weight (what to add to truck payload plus you, wife, bikes cooler, wood, gas, etc.) Is Total wgt of TT alone less the weight of the rear axles of TT when all connected.

Did this last week. Took 20 mins and cost me $12 (10 for first wgt and $1 for #2 and #3.)

2015 Keystone Montana 3791RD Legacy Edition, MorRyde 4000, Dual pane windows, Goodyear G rated tires.

2013 GMC Sierra 3500HD, Duramax, SLE, SRW, Crew, Hensley Trailer Saver hitch, Blue Ox BedSaver.
chris199 is offline   Reply With Quote