View Single Post
Old 01-17-2021, 07:01 AM   #28
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhagfo View Post
Wow!
I am sorry a well maintained TV is just as capable of carrying the weight it is rated for when it is 20 year old as new. This assumes we are not talking a North East TV with a rusted out frame.
You don't need to shout in red to express your opinion. As far as your statement goes that all depends on your definition of "well maintained". Many folks consider it as nearly changing fluids and replacing broken parts when they break. It's only common sense that a vehicle with all components meeting the specs of new will have the same capability as when it was new. The point is, very few 20 year old vehicles do unless they have been thru a full restoration.

Ask any garage "when was the last time someone came in for replacing their cab mounting bushings, or leaf spring bushings?" Or "when was the last time someone had their truck checked for crossmember joints?". I'd venture to say never unless they were making a noise or they were looking to find out why the tires are "wearing funny".

As a footnote, it's not just rust that deteriorates components. The effects of dessert conditions gry out bushings. High desert winds can drive sand into places causing premature wear. Transversely Artic cold can make materials brittle to the point of failure. Then there's the repeated cycling of years of hot, cold, dry, humid that has an effect. Mileage and usage differences as well. So it's difficult for me to accept such a blanket statement as "well maintained". JMHO
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote