Thread: Tire Question
View Single Post
Old 06-23-2022, 03:58 AM   #23
JRTJH
Site Team

The Goodyear Marathon recalls in 1995-1996 was enough to steer me away from GY tires and the frustration I got then was enough that I still won't buy a GY product. I had 2 blowouts on my HR Alumalite with Marathon tires. They recalled them about 6 months later. All 5 were replaced with "new, improved GY Marathons. Towing home from the GY dealership (about 20 miles) I had another blowout. Towed back to the dealership, they replaced that tire, left the "new spare" on the ground and that one blew on the way home.

I returned to the dealership, refused any more GY Marathons, they replaced all 5 with Maxxis (the GY dealer said they were the "Michelin's of trailer tires". I never had another blowout on that trailer and towed it to Las Vegas 2 times on the Maxxis tires.

So, pardon my reluctance to accept the new Endurance line without any concern. If someone likes the brand, wants to buy them, feels they're a good investment, go for it. Me, I'll stick with Carlisle Radial Trail HD. I believe it's 6 sets now without a problelm....

Oh, and all those blowouts with GY Marathon's on the Alumalite, GY never paid a dime for any of the damages, never replaced a tire in the original events, but "fortunately" they did replace those with less than 20 miles and 1 hour on them.... I say "fortunately" because had they refused to replace them, there would have been a "nuclear explosion" in Alexandrial Louisiana back in 1996.....

It takes a long, LONG time to get rid of the "bitter taste" once something like that happens to you.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote