View Single Post
Old 06-22-2022, 08:29 AM   #54
riorescue

Not fixed but still traveling

After starting this thread I ended up working with LCI to determine if the suspension components had issues or defects. I was requested to put together formal documentation complete with pictures and clear description of the issues. I ended up creating a 22 page document that detailed the concerns with pictures including axle angles using a straightedge (tire to tire across the axle). What I realized is that even with the trailer unloaded the axle configuration (weight rating) is likely far too little for my 273BHSWE. I’ve found pictures online of my trailer model brand new showing the exact same 1-2” clearance above the tires. I also included photos of the leaf springs which have very little arc to them—almost laying flat (these are 4-stack leaf springs). LCI reviewed the documentation and said they would send two new axle assemblies at no cost. The issue though is that they required a service center to install them (and they wouldn’t cover labor). I reached out to Keystone to let them know I had been working with LCI on this issue and to see if they could organize the service appointment to have the new axles installed. They actually replied in email with some legalese lawyer type language stating “we decline to get involved or assist in any way with this issue”. Short version…don’t expect much assistance from Keystone on this issue. Also interesting to note. I worked with a great engineer at LCI and he mentioned a couple times that they’ve received numerous calls related to low trailers and overall the axle rating used was not sufficient for the trailer weight.

Given I travel a lot and I care more about traveling then having my trailer sit unused I’ve simply ignored the issue and I slap on some tape after every trip to cover the holes the tires wear through the floor. At the time I called around to trailer shops including where I purchased my trailer and they all had 3-6 months (or longer) service wait times. Just didn’t want to go through the process.

Working with etrailers.com I think a quick fix would be to replace the leaf springs with a 5-pack (stiffer) configuration which would lift the trailer a little and likely mitigate the issue. The problem there of course is that it’s not a fix—it’s just a workaround and will also add to a stiffer ride.

Overall, we get tons of use out of our Keystone trailer. The trailer has issues for sure—seems like every trip I find something fun to fix (i.e. dometic thermostat, dometic thermoster on refer, propane regulator leaked out 2 5 gallon tanks overnight in an RV park causing a small panic). LOL. I would honestly say though that Keystone has not been super helpful from a customer service perspective. This is my experience—your mileage may vary.
2019 Keystone Bullet 273BHSWE
riorescue is offline   Reply With Quote