View Single Post
Old 06-21-2022, 08:28 AM   #7
dutchmensport

Several years ago we traded our first Chevy 3500 dually long bed diesel for a brand new one (in my signature below). Nothing was wrong with the old truck, except it had a fiberglass body and the bed fenders were spider cracking and I was afraid I'd hit a bump and half the side of the truck would fall off. Replacing cost $4000 a side.

We found our perfect truck. (and yes, it has been). Back then, we still had a bumper pull 31 Springdale travel trailer. Even though the truck had only 17 miles on the odometer, I insisted the dealership let me tow my trailer with it before I signed the dotted line.

Before doing that, I measured the hitch height and it was identical, so my weight distribution hitch easily worked with the new truck. I drove the trailer over to the dealership, unhitched, hitched up with the new truck and went for a 15 mile test drive. Both my wife and I took turns driving. We drove a sample in town and interstate. It towed magnificantly!

We went back, signed the dotted line and towed the trailer back home with it. Absolutely no regrets. It's been a fantastic truck. The next trailer was a bumper pull Outback 35 feet, and then the next was our current 41 foot fifth wheel. AND YOU KNOW WHAT? I didn't have to trade tow vehicles again when we moved up to a longer and heavier trailer! We got the right one that has lasted us all these years, and we hope, until we have to "park it" forever!

So, my advise, if the dealership will let you, see if they will let you tow your trailer before you actually purchase the truck. Then you'll know for sure!

And.... after we got the trailer home, a week later I was reading the manual and read we should have driven the truck 500 miles before towing to break it in properly. Well, it didn't seem to affect anything, and quite obvious, the dealership wasn't concerned about that either.