View Single Post
Old 06-21-2022, 06:02 AM   #1
Rocketsled

The impossible TV question: F450 vs 3500hd

In another thread, I mentioned the China Bomb that took out our bumper pull Toy Hauler, what I didn't mention was the puckering experience of driving across South Dakota, Nebraska, and Colorado...again...with massive wind gusts, again, that had me constantly on guard...again....and now I'm looking forward to another trip to Laramie to pick my son up from school...any bets on what the wind is gonna be like in Wyoming?

After the tire scare I mentioned how stressful it is driving the rig in the wind and we started initial discussions of getting what could be the last tow vehicle we'll ever buy.

The next rig planned is a two axle 5th wheel toy hauler under 40 feet. We don't intend to live full time, and that gets us into the kinds of parks we like to camp in.

We're also in a position to wait a bit...chip constraints are easing, the economy is cooling off a little, the current combo is perfectly adequate

But it could be the last tow vehicle we'll ever buy. (TLTVWEB)

We're a Chevy family, but I figure as it's TLTVWEB I should look at the alternatives. I also understand the impossibility of getting an unbiased comparison. The F450 has the great turning radius, the big sunroof, and a strong following...and I've also seen them fully-contented to be $15k more than a similar Chevy.

I've heard positive reviews of RAM's products, I've heard X35XX's are sometimes more capable that vehicles with 4's 5's and higher.

So I guess the question is: Has anyone jumped brands and found a substantial improvement by doing so, or are they all pretty much interchangeable at this level?

Bonus question: Will a DRW be a more stable tow vehicle pulling a bumper-pull in a crosswind?
Rocketsled is offline   Reply With Quote