View Single Post
Old 06-16-2022, 01:14 PM   #54
rogerb6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Island Eddie View Post
My trailer has been sitting 3 weeks at CW regarding my axles.
Last I heard was that it needed new axles and other stuff.

Sorry, don't mean to be vague, the conversation was hurried, and answers were not readily available from the tech, I was talking to a supervisor, who was looking into the matter, and our extended warranty, etc.

It's been frustrating to say the least.

My gut feeling is I think best case scenario is they replace it, and I am thinking I'll be saddled again with the same minimal axles, that failed already.

My questions guys is should I just go get my trailer and take it to a private trailer repair shop, and have a better axle installed?

I have 3500's on there now, and that just seems to be too small, if you tally everything up, and take into account the bumping strain roads can have by adding more stress.

This is my trailer, and the data, etc.

https://www.rvusa.com/rv-guide/2019-...5rbiwe-tr38196

I have thought about going a little smaller, but we love this floor plan and opposing slides, it really gives us room, and overall, we want to keep it.

Since I will be paying for it out of my pocket, what might I expect to pay, anybody have any idea?

I need to decide this week, we have half a dozen trips already booked.

THANKS guys
I have a Keystone Passport 199ML. New in 2017, I bought it last year. Sticker on the side says GVWR 5400, GAWR 3500. It is a twin axle with dexter 3500. In May I left Georgia for California. First night in Forrest City, AR while blocking the wheels I find the front axle drivers side tire has half the tread gone on the inside. Axle bent. I was able to find a truck repair shop in town that went out of their way to get me back on the road. They removed the axle and I was sent back to Memphis TN to a "Trailer Axles and Springs" shop. They built me a new, heavier, straight axle in 1 hour and I was heading back to Forrest City. New axle less than $300. On my way home from California I stopped at the Trailer axle shop and picked up another axle. The stock Dexter 3500 are pre-bent so as the trailer is built the load will bend the axle to proper tire camber. That says a lot about the axle strength. I would not replace your axle with a Dexter replacement. Also get out of CW if you can.
rogerb6 is offline   Reply With Quote