View Single Post
Old 02-28-2022, 04:16 AM   #50
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWtheMan View Post
The trailer builder is required to provide vehicle weight limiters. Limiters (GVWR & GAWRs) are maximum load limits for that vehicle and should never be exceeded.

All the information needed for a consumer to ensure vehicle loads are appropriate for their trailer has been provided. Some are often misinterpreted leading to vehicle overloads.

A trailer with 7600# GVWR minus the manufacturer’s recommended tongue weight of 600# is required to have axles rated high enough to support 7000# (two vehicle certified 3500# axles). There is no gimmick to those figures.
After first sale, the consumer becomes 100% responsible for tongue weights.

When the appropriate axles have been installed on the trailer at the factory, there is very little room to suspect they helped the cause of frame cracks/fractures.
I am of the opinion that the major issue, as with most issues, is the lack of understanding and education.. In America most everyone is familiar with automobiles and with houses. Typically you don't overload cars and the "average" 1/2 ton truck owner may overload their truck bringing some lumber home for a deck but it's typically a short drive. Folks don't think of cumulative weight. The more space the more they fill it.

The average homeowner doesn't concern themselves with weight loading. Every year you hear about a deck colasing because 50 people were crammed on a 12' x 12' deck. Saw a story just the other day of a first floor home colapsed into the basement. They said a party of approximately 150 was in the house.

So take those same folks and place them in a new 1/2 ton truck with a camper. They think they are driving a "big truck" because their only past experiences were mid size to small cars. The buy a trailer that resembles their house, there's a bed, kitchen, sofa, closets, etc. Add in the messaging from the salesman of "you can tow anything" and "you have ALL of this storage space" and before you know it the unsuspecting consumer is in over thier head. Then some come here asking for help or are obviously over the truck's capacity and someone dare mentions the possability of their beinging an issue. They become defensive and some others that don't understand or become pity partners run to their defense. For many the manufacturer becomes the culprit.

The point is, in my thinking, is there's plenty of blame to go around. But instead of slining blame let's think of a salution. What could that solution look like? From my experience having owned boats of various sizes for decades, having earned a private pilots license, I think those industries should be studied. Let me say up front that I'm a "less is more" when it comes to regulations but there just aren't many resoutces out there ior the "new to towing" populace.

The marine industry have Coast Guard sponsored safe boating courses. Some states require liscencing or a completion and certificate to oprate a vessel. The FAA of course has strict license requirenments but back when "ultralight" aircaft became popular they amended that licensing to a "lesser standard" for operating ultralights". Seems to me that the RV industry is cerianly lacking in "self regulation" and promoted an abundance of mis-gudence to complete a sale.

This are just my opinions based on my observances and experiences, yours may differ.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote