View Single Post
Old 08-03-2020, 04:40 PM   #47
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by hazmat456 View Post
Just flip the axle and be done with it. You will gain more than 3 inches in height and will need to adjust your hitch to compensate. But you won't have to worry so much about approach angles either.
Quote:
Originally Posted by LewisB View Post
When you say "flip the axle" I hope you don't mean turning it upside down to move the spring perch from the bottom to the top! Trailer axles are built with a specified amount of arch so that they flex and straighten when they take the design load. Turning the axle upside down will put wrong angles on the entire suspension, kill the tires, etc.

If you mean "do a spring over conversion" by keeping the axle right-side up and installing new spring perches on the top of the axle, then that can be done if done properly.
Crawl under your trailer and look at the suspension. I can't name one "flat floor slide RV that doesn't already have the springs on top of the axles... The days of "springs under the axle" are, for the most part, ancient history, at least on Keystone trailers... From what I've seen, if there's a slide, they all have the springs on top of the axles as OEM.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote