View Single Post
Old 07-28-2015, 04:58 PM   #11
SteveC7010

Like most others, I level first and then run the slides out. We have four slides; three on the street side and one really large one on the curb side. I don't find much difference in the level after the slides are out. I do double-double check the fridge for level. That's an old habit from the days when the fridges were real finicky about being level.

FWIW, the standard scissors jack style stabilizers are not the best quality. If they get too much grit in them, the threads, bushings, and bearings begin to wear. I would not place too much stock on changes in trailer weight affecting the life of these jacks.

Also, remember that they are stabilizers and not intended to lift the weight of the trailer. Cranking them too much will hasten their demise.

Last point as someone mentioned it above, I recommend that people always use cribbing or boards under the stabilizers, landing gear, and/or tongue. The larger footprint of the boards will prevent the jacks from sinking into the ground very much. I've found that the stabilizers in particular are much more effective if they are not extended out very far. They seem very wobbly when fully extended. Building up under the stabilizer feet with cribbing seems to help a whole bunch. I carry a bunch of 4x4 pressure treat pieces cut to about a foot in length. It's super handy for sloped campsites. Since I have the Steady Fast feet on all four corners of the trailer, I follow their recommendation using two pieces of this cribbing in a V shape under each foot.

'11 Cougar 326MKS loaded with mods
'12 Ford F250 SuperCab 6.7 PowerStroke Diesel
Amateur Radio: KD2IAT (146.520) GMRS: WQPG808 (462.675 TPL 141.3)
SteveC7010 is offline   Reply With Quote