Thread: Tire Pressure
View Single Post
Old 04-01-2013, 02:27 PM   #4
SteveC7010

A couple of additions here. Check the manufacturers inflation charts for your truck tires. You will see that their load bearing rating is directly related to tire pressure. The lower the pressure, the lower the weight rating. That tire pressure is set cold. Now here's the kicker: An under-inflated tire with too much weight on it will get hotter than a properly inflated one because there is more flex in the side walls and tread. This is what leads to almost all premature blowouts.

If you are towing, you want the max load bearing capacity possible so you inflate the tires to their max cold pressure. The extra weight is then properly supported by the tires. Many of us will drop the pressure on E rated truck tires when not towing to soften up the ride a bit. That seems to be OK as we're not carrying the extra weight associated with towing or hauling. On my '02 Dodge 3500 dually, I ran 80 psi when towing but knocked the rears down to 60 psi otherwise. There was no perceptible difference in tire wear, but my backside appreciated it immensely.

'11 Cougar 326MKS loaded with mods
'12 Ford F250 SuperCab 6.7 PowerStroke Diesel
Amateur Radio: KD2IAT (146.520) GMRS: WQPG808 (462.675 TPL 141.3)
SteveC7010 is offline   Reply With Quote