View Single Post
Old 10-22-2012, 07:27 PM   #9
ktmracer

Quote:
Originally Posted by happytrails View Post
I agree with this.

I do want to add that I have seen a couple other posts about replacing the GFI and that would be my first thing I would try, however, don't just replace the GFI with a 20Amp GFI unless the one you have now is a 20Amp GFI. You should be able to tell what you should put in by looking at the breaker that feeds the GFI and/or it will be stamped on the GFI. If it is a 15Amp breaker then put in a 15Amp GFI. DO NOT REPLACE the 15Amp breaker with a 20Amp breaker or you may just start a fire. You most likely won't start a fire by putting in a 20Amp GFI in place of a 15Amp, but it is just bad practice and can be confusing to the next guy.

Someone mentioned hospital grade GFI or non-Home Depot. I agree but I think you can find a good durable GFI at Home Depot. If you look at the outlets section in HD or Lowes you will notice that some outlets are $0.50 or so and some are $4. By looking at them you won't notice much difference. Pick them up and really get a look and feel of them. This is one case where you really do get what you pay for. See if they actually have someone in the electrical department who knows about electrical stuff. Hard to find, but sometimes they actually do have knowledgable people in the right departments. My electronics professor in college retired and went to work for Lowes, they put him in pluming. go figure!
to clarfy, a GFI outlet is NOT a circuit breaker, it is ONLY a GFI. A GFI/breaker combo in the breaker box is both. in the panel do NOT substitute a 20A GFI/Breaker for a 15A unless the wire is at least #12 to avoid code and possible fire. It is also good practice to not substitute a 20A GFI outlet for a 15A GFI outlet since the 20A GFI outlet will accept a 20A 120V plug as well as a 15A 120V plug. (Yes, they are different.) And even if the breaker is 20A it is very common and code compliant to use 15A duplex outlets and 15A GFI outlets on a 20A circuit.

2004 Silverado CC/SB/ 4x4 Duramax
Pace 14' bike hauler with full living quarters
ktmracer is offline   Reply With Quote