View Single Post
Old 05-01-2022, 03:58 PM   #40
sourdough
Site Team

The "tow rating" of your truck doesn't really matter, in most cases it's used as a sales tactic. What the truck can carry is THE question generally. How you get to that figure comes in different ways.

The long and short of your initial question is no, that truck won't carry that trailer. The trailer I have is almost identical to the 295 in weights and there's no way I would drop that on my previous 3/4 ton, with a 3190 payload - that's why I have the truck in my signature.

As for will you ever get to gvw? Probably. Depending on how you use the trailer, how often, how many things you like to do etc. On a trailer that big it doesn't matter with a 3/4 ton....it just doesn't have the capacity. I'll round numbers since I'm traveling and don't have exacts; my trailer, again with almost the identical capacities as the 295, comes in at approx. 13200 for this trip - not gvw BUT my pin was just under 3000 lbs. (29xx) - that's ALL of your available payload and no one, no tools, no hitch etc. would be in your truck. Again, that's why I have a 1 ton. Also I carry some items in the truck like an ice chest, some folding aluminum tables etc. - those come off the payload as well.

Bottom line is a 3/4 ton truck is only suited for smaller, lighter 5th wheels; think 10k GVW if you want to stay on the safe side and be able to put a lunch box in with you.