View Single Post
Old 05-01-2022, 11:35 AM   #31
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pathman View Post
That’s certainly a different outlook so far, appreciate your insight. So I’m getting the impression that the weight considerations (GVWR/pin weight) aren’t necessarily all or nothing, there can be some room to adjust the numbers depending on loads correct?
For instance, as you mentioned, if going to an RV park, I’d be able to travel with only a minimal amount of water, same for waste tanks, so I would imagine that would have an impact on GVWR.
Room to adjust the "numbers" NOOOOOOOOO!!!!!

Room to adjust the "cargo" depends on what you are trying to accomplish and what compromises you're willing to accept.

That said, NEVER (did I mention don't do it) believe that you'll always be able to carry through with that "weight reduction plan".... For instance, you go to a campground to spend a week with water and electric hookups and a dump station (so you can dump before you leave for home)... And on Sunday afternoon, the lift pump at the dump station burns up and the park closes the dump facility, BUT YOU HAVE FULL TANKS and checkout is in 1 hour..... So, your "best made plans turn to crap" and you're forced to tow home with an extra 70 or 80 gallons of waste water....

NEVER plan things that you don't have a backup plan to keep you out of trouble....

All things said, people tow overweight every day. Right now, I'd guess that between 1/4 and 1/2 of all fifth wheels on the highway are overweight. Does that mean it's OK ? Nope, but it's done every day. So, when it comes down to the bottom line, it's up to you, what you're willing to accept, what you feel is "too much" and what plans you're willing to forget about when the crap hits the fan.....

Trust me when I say you will, when traveling, wind up in situations where you have to make a decision to "just stop" or "keep going, even though things aren't right and it could impact us more than we want".... When that happens (and it will) the more reserve capacity you have the better equipped you are for the inevitable....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS