View Single Post
Old 05-01-2022, 11:04 AM   #30
Pathman

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsmith0404 View Post
I’ll go a little different direction from others. 5th wheels, especially drop frame units like the Montana have a ton of cargo space, they also have large holding tanks. If you do long trips and dry camping, chances are you will take up a hood portion of the 2,600 lbs of payload capacity of the 5er. If you are a weekend/week camper at RV parks with hookups and you pack smart, (we use a lot of plastic/styrofoam light weight dishes in our RV, dollar tree is great for RV shopping) you will most likely be well below that number. Keep in mind, your camping situations/choices may change over the years. As others have mentioned, you have light weight hitch options, Some will say a goosbox or Gen Y will add zero weight, that’s not exactly true, there is a difference in their weight from the original pin box. I don’t know how much the difference is. You can also use something like a Pullrite 2600 which is only 60 lbs. you don’t have to load up the bed of the truck with “stuff”. If you’re trying to keep weight off the trucks payload, the Montana has a rear receiver capable of 300 lb capacity, get a rack and load some of the extras there. Personally, I think you’ll be just fine with nearly 3,000 lbs of payload available on your truck, The key is that you are aware of the weights and plan accordingly.

That’s certainly a different outlook so far, appreciate your insight. So I’m getting the impression that the weight considerations (GVWR/pin weight) aren’t necessarily all or nothing, there can be some room to adjust the numbers depending on loads correct?
For instance, as you mentioned, if going to an RV park, I’d be able to travel with only a minimal amount of water, same for waste tanks, so I would imagine that would have an impact on GVWR.