View Single Post
Old 05-01-2022, 06:35 AM   #23
markcee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pathman View Post
I’m using the dry weight as a quick guide to trailer weight in order to determine a starting point for models I may be able to tow.

I understand at this point the GVWR and pin weight of the trailer is key. What I’m still a little unclear on, is it appears everyone is using the max CCC of the trailer in their calculations. My question is, how close does everyone actually get to the max CCC of their trailers? Wouldn’t that need to be defined a bit more in order to get a more accurate pin weight?
May not fill your trailer to it's capacity, but you will likely be closer than you think. I was shocked that I added 1000 lbs over dry weight to my travel trailer, thinking I was 'packing light'. Stuff adds up fast. The good thing about using the trailer GVWR (dry weight + CCC) is that you are planning for the 'worst case' scenario, weight-wise. In other words, you have a built-in safety margin. When you don't have the trailer in your possession to actually load and weigh, using the trailer GVWR and it's 22%-23% figure as pin weight, is the best you can do, and ensures that you know exactly how far you can push things without busting any limits..

I think one of the first and best rules of thumb in this trailering game to observe is that Dry Weights are Meaningless. Use them for nothing.