View Single Post
Old 10-22-2021, 09:48 AM   #38
flybouy
Site Team

Not going to get into the debate on sources. I would like to add this about the $ limit. Go inside (I know this may be a new adventure to some) and ask them if this is a company policy or a station policy. Often it's neither, it's your bank's or credit cards policy. I have the Gas Buddy Card (linked to a checking account that we only use for very restricted things, i.e. we keep a limited amount of money in the account with no overdrafts) and they limit transactions to $75/day for security.

The first time I ran into this was 25 yrs ago when we were at Disney. Charged the room (after other things) and went to buy our tickets for the week. The CC was denied. I knew there was plenty of money available and when I called the bank they said it was a theft deterrent per day limit. I was able to override that limit and set it higher for the duration of the trip.

Fast forward to around 12 years ago and this happened when I went to gas up. Different card, this was one that I used only for business travel. I called the bank anmd they told me that since I had used the card in 7 states in 4 days for fuel they thought it was stolen. They attempted to call me but had my old cell phone number. So after getting that corrected all was well. Also had it happen a few times when I made some large purchases where the cashier made a phone call in front of me, handed me the phone and bank confirmed it was me and then approved the purchase.

long story but the point is, check with your bank before condemning the merchant.