View Single Post
Old 08-26-2021, 05:37 AM   #26
Laredo Tugger

Well Marshall since you mentioned clubs, I'm getting annoyed because my irons out of my golf bag are not performing like they used to. I try to avoid getting "too much" information when it comes to trying to fix golf problems. They call them "swing thoughts" and it is real easy to "over think" what should be a simple motion.
But to stay on point of the thread, I was told a long time ago you should always have "more truck than trailer". However the numbers come out with the multiple calculations available, you should always error on the side of safety and have a sufficient TV.
Define "sufficient"? Well if you have been on here (this forum) long enough some form of the definition is broadcast almost daily, and there is nothing wrong with that. No you do not need a dually for a pop-up trailer, but for a 16K fifth wheel trailer? Probably not a bad idea. Problem is MANY (just walk around any bustling campground these days) have prescribed to the "3/4 ton is enough truck" mentality and that 16K trailer is too much, anyway you slice it.
Fault? An uneducated public, there is no real school or certification process for personal towing compliances. "Let freedom ring" I'm all for it! Insurance companies may not be. And fault also lies with the "sales" component of both the trucks and trailers. Dealers of both peddling misinformation for the sake of a "sale". The trailer dealers know the numbers, they will not sell you a large fifth wheel and let you hitch up to a F150. So why are they allowed to repeat this with the wrong truck (250/2500} again? The moment they lift the jacks on the trailer, available "payload" had disappeared and they know it.
Remedy"? I've often wished I had a pop up sign on my truck that reads "More truck, ChucK!" for the 6 wheel toy hauler being towed by a 250/2500 with the headlights poised for aircraft surveillance. Yes they are out there.
No I am not bashing 250/2500 owners. They have a place in the towing market.
Reality, try to avoid them on the highway and look at the pictures of the accident scenes hoping no one was hurt. Those seem to be the only two solutions I can come up with at this time.
RMc
Laredo Tugger is offline   Reply With Quote