View Single Post
Old 03-25-2021, 01:40 PM   #77
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by STJ View Post
I have a question about using the cat scales when I go to weigh my rig which is a travel trailer unit should I drop the weight distribution equalizer bars to get a correct payload weight on my truck. 19 Ram 2500 Diesel 4x4 mega cab, Outback301UBH.
Late to the game, but here's my "procedure"...

1. When you get to the scale, DO NOT PARK ON THE SCALE. Park conveniently close, then go inside to talk to the scale master about what you want to do. That way, both of you will be aware of the situation and any limitations at that particular scale.

2. Drive onto the scale with tow vehicle front axle on pad #1, rear axle on pad #2 and both trailer axles on pad #3.

3. Weigh the rig. DO NOT MOVE THE RIG. Get out of the vehicle, loosen the WD bars but don't remove them. With the bars hanging, get back in the vehicle and weigh the rig a second time.

4. Tow the trailer off the scale, go to an out of the way location and disconnect the trailer.

5. Drive the tow vehicle onto the scale with the front axle on pad #1 and the rear axle on pad #2. Weigh "just the tow vehicle" and then drive off the scale and go inside to "settle up with the scale master.

You'll have a total of 3 weight slips. With the information on them, you can calculate all the weight scenarios necessary for towing.

As a note, don't change any "passenger positions" during the process. If there are a passenger in the vehicle for one weight, that passenger should be "in the vehicle for every weight".... The objective is to have "identical situations" for every weight slip. That way, there's no need to "adjust 150 pounds" because DW needed to go to the bathroom between weights. Her 150 pounds can make a significant difference in calculating tongue weights, hitch distribution weights and even vehicle payload weights.... So, keep them all the same....

As for price, most CAT scales charge $12 for the first weigh and $2.50 for each reweigh, so total cost should be $17.

DON'T FORGET TO GET YOUR COPY OF ALL THREE WEIGHT SLIPS. MAKE SURE THEY DO NOT GIVE YOU 3 COPIES OF THE LAST WEIGHT SLIP.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote