View Single Post
Old 03-25-2021, 01:31 PM   #76
MikeRP

Quote:
Originally Posted by markcee View Post
Lol@ 'those that jump on......'

My apologies if you're being sarcastic, but I never see the weight police as being on the attack. It's an attempt to educate. I appreciated the education I received on this subject. Even though it was hard to take, I never took it as getting 'jumped' on. Embarrassed by my ignorance? You bet, but overall I received it as assistance being offered by those that know
I disagree with your statement. I was threatened to be kicked off this forum for challenging the weight police and discussing towing safely.

Anyway, I have two examples of F-350’s that have, it seems like a common, 3400 lb payload. Both very similar trucks except one is a long bed XLT and the other is the standard bed Lariet. Both are Crew Cab 2019 model Year. The long bed has only 3415 lbs 18 in tires. The SB has 3750 lb 20 in tires. If you do the numbers Ford can’t go to the 12,400 lb weight rating on the long bed because of the tire capacity. Also the LBed has Rear GAWR of 6780 while the SBed has a rear axle weight rating of 7230. You all know those axles aren’t different.

Both have essentially identical payloads. While my Ram is a long bed Longhorn 2020 model. 12,300 lb GVWR and a 4156 on payload. 7000 lb gawr.

Now if you were going to buy a Srw truck and your worried about payload, which one would ya pick?

But I also can show you that the 4156 lb payload on the Ram is no better than a F350 Ford at 3400 lb payload. Now, we can keep going on this one. What if I put super singles, which are 295/70R18’s at 4080 lbs per tire on the Ram? Could the Ram then claim a 5000 lb payload?

Answer is no. But if Ford put a 4200 lb rating on a one ton Srw, some might say this truck competes too closely to an F-450 that has a normal payload around 4800lbs.

So when you look at 2500 models, here’s the crux in my opinion, if someone is buying a 2500 and we catch him before they buy, I always recommend buying a 3500. If someone already has purchased a 2500, again in my opinion, I wouldn’t send them out to buy a new truck unless they are in the dually range for their fifth wheel.

I also recently saw a Ford F-350 with a 10,000 lb GVWR, I think Maryland, to get cheaper costs for licensing. Would someone say that truck is limited to 10,000 lbs GVWR?

I don’t think I kept it but I’ll see if I can find it again.

Peace.
MikeRP is offline   Reply With Quote