View Single Post
Old 03-25-2021, 12:29 PM   #70
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ccrew View Post
I understand why. Not that I agree with it, but here's a case in point. VA has a personal property tax of 3% of the book value of the vehicle every year. A 3/4 ton here for the most part has a GVW of 7500lbs on the registration. At 7501 there's a property tax rebate that is lost as the vehicle if registered with truck plates So folks will buy 3/4's and pass on 1 tons. It can be hard to find a 1 ton in this state in some areas.

Neither here nor there but there's a loophole in the law to register the body style as a "pickup" rather than just "truck" but frequently requires a trip to the DMV to fix. Then you get the tax break. And that break isn't insubstantial. I imagine other states have a similar conundrum.

I can understand some folks playing shenanigans if faced with that kind of situation but then again, if you know the costs associated with whatever it is that you want and need, one should pay them. On the other hand, that is one of the reasons I would not live in a state with personal property taxes (excluding real estate).
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote