View Single Post
Old 03-23-2021, 10:36 AM   #9
Bill-2020

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiredgeorge View Post
Keep in mind the tech that scans your engine MUST use a scan tool that catches all Ford specific codes. The CEL codes are kind of generic/universal but there are codes that pop that will throw the wrench light and these are never picked up by a regular scanner. If you care to check it out, there is an open source tool called FORSCAN that you plug into your OBD2 port and it talks to your laptop and does read all Ford specific codes thrown.
http://vi.raptor.ebaydesc.com/ws/eBa...=1616519974848

It isn't a bad idea to use a Ford certified tech but it is nice to be armed with some info going in so you can judge if the tech is top notch or a dud.
Funny you mention this George, I already have the FORSCAN (bought a year subscription) and the USB to OBDII adapter ( https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1 )

I had thought about using that instead of my Actron scan tool to see if there was anything "deeper" to see but have not yet. I was hoping I just had some bad fuel or something that would work itself out. I had a dud of a Nissan tech once on the DW's car and an A/C related problem. I knew what the issue was, I replaced the components and then took it in to them to recharge the system properly. The tech instantly told me that I needed a new core because its leaking and there are trace amounts of refrigerant under the condenser drain. I told them "just charge the system, I'm trading it in." I knew that what he saw was from my work replacing seals at the firewall, not a bad core. Dud isn't the work I used.

Jasin1 - I'll look at that. I don't recall if the clutch was engaged or not. The good thing is, it's repeatable so the tech won't be able to tell me they couldn't make it happen. Just two things need to happen. 1. Turn it on 2. wait a few minutes parked (warning or hot).