View Single Post
Old 03-09-2021, 07:23 AM   #22
LewisB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traindude View Post
Just wanted to get some opinions on getting a new truck. So far this what I am thinking. 1ton diesel srw with an 8 ft bed. With that being said any features that you all like or dislike. Not trying to start a debate on trucks Ford vs Chevy, or diesel vs gas. Just ideas on what out there, help hints that sorta thing
Thanx
  • The new HD SRW trucks have vastly improved payloads. Avoid listening to "sweeping generalizations" that may well be wrong. Investigate and check the tag for the vehicle you are purchasing to insure it meets your current and anticipated future payload needs.
  • If towing, get largest available fuel tank - even if you plan to add an axillary tank later.
  • An axillary fuel tank takes some bed space but brings with it a lot of peace of mind by avoiding the anxiety of "where oh where" will I get my next splash of fuel.
  • You will adjust to a new vehicle in short order - get the largest vehicle you can afford that will still be usable. In other words, don't let "fear" of the unknown stop you from considering a diesel DRW. If you are towing LARGE, a diesel DRW is unmatched in comfort and capability. A 3/4 ton is a waste of money when a 1 ton can be purchased for nearly the same amount and will be more capable.
  • Tire Pressure Monitoring Systems are invaluable - some allow integration of the trailer tires into the truck system.
  • The new "puck" hitch systems are marvelous. If buying new, I would insist on the factory installed system.
  • 4X4 is not just for "off road" use - I like having low range just for parking our large trailer. When it snows, it might pay for itself after one "save"!!!
  • Focus on mechanical capability rather than driver's seat bells & whistles. You can always live without heated seats - but you may NOT be able to live with the wrong engine, transmission, and gears.
  • Probably most important, get DW involved - give her something to choose, like the color. LOL

Hope that helps. Good luck on your shopping.
2019 Can Am Maverick Sport XRC - the "Blue Goose"

On YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCjc...yZ_w7jyofaPLVQ
LewisB is offline   Reply With Quote