View Single Post
Old 03-08-2021, 05:28 PM   #9
JRTJH
Site Team

Ford's "lane keeping program" centers my DW's Edge "in the middle of the lane".. I prefer to be closer to traffic going the same direction and further from traffic I meet "head-on", so I prefer to travel in the lane, but closer to the right edge of the lane. That puts "maximum distance" between me and a "head-on collision".... Her Edge doesn't like me to do that and steers back to the center of the lane. On long trips, it can be a hassle and I get tired of fighting to move that 1' to the right and finally just turn the damn thing off. Then, I can drive anywhere "inside the white lines" and her car is happy....

On Fords, if you take your hands off the wheel or don't steer for about 10 seconds, the car will "DING" once and notify you to put your hands back on the wheel. If you don't make a steering adjustment in the next 10 seconds, the car will "DING" twice and in 5 seconds, it will deactivate the cruise and start slowing down. So, there's no such thing as climbing in the back to rub the dog's belly...

As for trusting the electronics ??? NOPE, ain't gonna happen....

There was a study done recently (last year I believe) that found the current "self driving technology" makes about 8 mistakes per mile travelled. That's more than my Grandma made when she forgot her glasses, wasn't supposed to be driving (because they took her license for being "too old") and decided to go to McComb to shop. She was only 96 at the time, but still drove better than DW's Edge.... Trust it? I trust Grandma more..... And I wouldn't have ridden to McComb with her on a bet.....

The active cruise control

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote