View Single Post
Old 02-18-2021, 08:52 AM   #44
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by alrothel View Post
Thats what I used to get for mileage. I had a 2019 F250 Ford with the 6.7 turbo diesel and got about 5000 miles to a tank full. That's about 1000 miles to a gallon of DEF. Now I have a 2020 F-350 with the same motor but get about 1000 to a tank. That like 200 miles to a gallon. The dealer just says that if I tow an RV or anything of weight that's what you get. Now my new RV is a little heavier but that much of a difference?
Is anyone getting that kind of mileage when towing using DEF. I also understand DEF is DEF and paying twice as much for Blue DEF just does not seem justified.
I wonder if your DEF system is going into regen too often? There may be an issue with the catalytic converter/filter being blocked, causing the O2 sensors to believe it's full and needs regen ???? I haven't heard of anyone using that much DEF unless there's a problem. My "older F250" (2015) uses about 1 gallon per 1500 miles and when towing, the exhaust system gets hotter than when driving solo, so it doesn't seem to go into regen as often, meaning less DEF use when towing. At least that's what I've seen on my truck...

I think I'd find another dealership and let their "diesel experts" do a system check. I don't believe you should be using that much DEF...

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote