View Single Post
Old 02-09-2021, 09:25 PM   #49
jrhoads23

As an update on this... I plan on putting in an order for a new truck this week. Should have it around May for camping season. I am getting HEMI/3.73. The only thing I am up in the air on (besides color) is do I get a 2500 or 3500 (SRW). In my case it will only be $300 or so more for a 3500 - so do that right?
For the record the payload and towing capacity of a gas 2500 would be PLENTY for us. We have two kids and may go a little bigger with our next camper, but we have a 2007 Outback 23RS right now and would only want to go one size up from that. At 3000+ lb payload we should have plenty of wiggle room with a 2500.

My thoughts are (and they might be wrong)... I typically keep my trucks for 4-5 years and then upgrade - because I like the newer ones. I am thinking when that time comes, there are not as many 3500 out there and it may demand more and be easier to sell than a 2500. I can tell you that is true right now from my search for a 1 year old used truck. Lots of 3/4 ton out there and very few 1 ton (especially SRW). Maybe I am wrong and it will actually be TOUGHER to sell a 1 ton? One part of me says go with the 3500 for this reason, while the other part of me says don't base a decision on a new truck with the next owner in mind.

What I am nervous about is the ride quality of a 3500. Like I mentioned I test drove a new 2500 and really liked the ride. I would have loved to test drive a new 3500 but they are so rare, the nearest one was at a dealer around 2 hours away. However from what people have said on here, the ride is pretty much the same or close to the 2500.

Hopefully the MPG between the 2500 and 3500 is pretty much the same (all other things being equal)

Anyone care to talk me out of the 3500???
jrhoads23 is offline   Reply With Quote