View Single Post
Old 01-08-2021, 10:29 AM   #29
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrhoads23 View Post
How big of a deal is it to get the 4.10 axle? It seems like those are in the minority when compared to the 3.73. I have found some that check most of my boxes but they have the 3.73.

Wondering if it is worth giving up some of my creature comforts to get this (things that can not be easily added down the road - i.e. nicer radio, LED headlights, ...)
Is it possible to have the dealer upgrade from 3.73 to 4.10? Any idea what the cost would be for this? I know when building one the 4.10 option is only a $145 upcharge

From my experiences from lots of looking the 3.73 is the "go to" ratio on lots of trucks. I've owned all kinds of ratios from 3.55/3.73/3.92/4.10 (trucks) and I will always gravitate to the 4.10 if towing. There is an appreciable difference in towing with a Ram. If not towing, or on the lower end of towing weight, you can get by with a 3.73 just fine. If you are going into the heavier weights, and particularly if you get the older 6 speed, the 6 speed has some big holes in it and the 3.73 really puts the truck in an rpm bind.

When I finally decided I was going to get a truck with 4.10 I went to several dealers. They could generally find a 4.10 but not equipped with what I considered essential equipment. Do some searching and be flexible with your "wants" in the truck (I'm not) and you should be able to find a truck that fits the bill.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote