View Single Post
Old 01-02-2021, 11:00 AM   #11
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrhoads23 View Post
Thank you so much for the response... exactly the stuff I was looking for. I also for sure want a short bed. And good to know with the 2500 vs 3500. Problem is there seem to be ten 2500 for sale for every one 3500 for sale. So finding one (especially SRW) is difficult. In a perfect world I could find one used (2019+) that is still under warranty
I was also curious about the ride difference between 2500 vs 3500. I was under the impression the ride on 3500s were back breakers compared to the 2500 (and especially the 1500) but it sounds like with your experience, that isn't the case

The 2500 vs 3500 is a moot point if you don't need the payload. That's why trying to look into your "crystal ball" is important. If like me all I see are clouds in mine so I never know what tomorrow holds. If you indeed think you will never want a bumper pull that weighs over 10,000 lbs. gvw (tongue weight = 13% of 10,000 lbs. = 1300 lbs.) a gas 3/4 ton will do the job. My last 3/4 had a 3190 payload as I recall. It's all about what you plan to throw on the back of the truck - and remember that 5th wheels calculate at 20-25% of gvw for pin weight vs the lower bumper pull.

As just a thought on the ride differences between a 3/4 vs 1 ton SRW HD truck. They both have 80psi LT tires sitting in the back under an unloaded bed - not going to be much difference in the jolt. I just air the tires down when unloaded.

Availability of the 3500 is less than the 2500 that's for sure, and depending on where you are in the country a 3500 could be rare as hen's teeth. If you truly think that a large trailer is "way down the road" or so far out there that you can't see it or a current truck would age out - go with the 3/4. It will accommodate up to about what I mentioned. I know right now contemplating a 10k trailer seems like it would be huge, but after you get used to being in them with growing kids it might not seem that large later on. Just be sure and look at the yellow sticker inside the driver door for the payload; different variations/trim of the same model can cause large deviations in that number. For a 3/4 gas I would look for something with at least 3100 or so. A decked out Laramie or Limited (Ram) will run less but they have lots of gidget/gadgets that may not be useful to you (as I seem to find - still don't know how to make 1/2 the things this truck has work ).
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote