View Single Post
Old 01-02-2021, 06:53 AM   #8
jrhoads23

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
It's pretty hard to give you "good" advice. Your scenario could be anything in a short time. With 2 little ones and a smaller RV currently, your future plans could go in many different directions. Some thought about what it is you might be doing in say 3-4 years would be beneficial.

Generically; if going for a gas 2500 go with the 3500. Minimal difference in cost but enough of a difference in payload to make it worth it. Difference in ride (daily driver) is negligible (owned both). If going gas, and you go with a 3500, that's about as big as you're going without a dually or much larger truck.

I drive Rams so I'll speak to them. I drive a crew cab. Just 2 of us but I like the room (as does puppy). I always drive 4x4. Rarely need it, but when you do need it you have it vs a tow truck. I've been stuck in a 4x4 but nearly every time I knew it was going to happen because I got myself into it.

I like short beds. I used to have long beds but a short bed does everything I need including carrying 8' sheets of whatever and 12' long lumber. Maneuverability, just fitting, is easier. Tons of options, or not, that one can select to fit individual preferences.

Gas drivetrain (Ram); Of the newer Rams I've owned the 4.7, 5.7 and 6.4. The 5.7 and 6.4 are strong but the 6.4 is stronger. The newer 8 speed trannys make a world of difference. Axle ratio for me, if you can find one, is 4.10. Greatly improves towing and overall performance. Some worry about mpg but the reduction is infinitesimal to me and the benefits far outweigh any mpg concerns for me.

Don'ts? Don't get a low (numerically) axle ratio. It kills towing performance; get as high as you can find. Don't worry about an HD truck riding too "rough"; they are just a tad more harsh than a 1/2 ton but no issue. Don't buy too little truck looking to the future unless you have no issue with buying a larger truck at some point.

Just a few thoughts as you embark on your adventure. And yes, the question has been asked many times and will continue to be. Fire away with any others you come up with.
Thank you so much for the response... exactly the stuff I was looking for. I also for sure want a short bed. And good to know with the 2500 vs 3500. Problem is there seem to be ten 2500 for sale for every one 3500 for sale. So finding one (especially SRW) is difficult. In a perfect world I could find one used (2019+) that is still under warranty
I was also curious about the ride difference between 2500 vs 3500. I was under the impression the ride on 3500s were back breakers compared to the 2500 (and especially the 1500) but it sounds like with your experience, that isn't the case
jrhoads23 is offline   Reply With Quote