View Single Post
Old 11-24-2020, 05:45 PM   #30
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Javi View Post
Yeah... I guess you have to have a modicum of depth perception for it to work.

But I can easily say that I've never hit a gas/diesel island bumper or bank lane or toll booth in few hundred thousand miles in a dually..

I have however, hit an overpass with an 18 wheeler trailer.. We were 13' 6" and the sign said 13' 8".... it lied

Oh yeah.. I backed into a sign pole once in a 16 passenger van... creased the back door in about 6" ... but that was my temper's fault...
Quote:
Originally Posted by travelin texans View Post
If cutting the corner that tight you'll likely hit the rear fender on a crew cab long bed truck also.
Even the DW drove through drive thrus, parked/drove anywhere she wanted & never dented/scratched a fender.
I'm not (wasn't) suggesting that it's a "gonna happen eventually" event. I was simply suggesting that it's not always "if the mirrors fit so will the hips"... I've been fortunate (so far) with every dually I've driven and with every trailer I've towed. I can't begin to count the number of fifth wheels and travel/cargo trailers that I've seen with a scraped side. Heck, cruise most campgrounds and look at tires on the trailers. I'd guess about 50% of them will have "scuff marks" on the trailer tire sidewalls.... They didn't get there from people with "perfect depth perception, they got there from people who "let their guard down" (just for that split second) and suddenly realize there's a curb or a gutter "right where their trailer tires are tracking and no time to stop before "BLAM"..... Same with a dually, or yup, even with a LWB truck (heck, even with a short wheel base Escape if you cut too short...

Simply put, mirror clearance is no guarantee the fenders will make it without an "oopsie" or a "*(%^)S" if your temper is like mine.....

DW still marvels at how many trucks have tailgates that got crushed from carrying a heavy pipe that dropped on it... She hasn't yet figured out that when those "yellow posts are in the way and the tailgate is down, you don't need a heavy pipe dropped on the tailgate to get that "signature dent"....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote