View Single Post
Old 09-29-2020, 05:54 AM   #23
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by chunker View Post
I had a couple of conversations with the NW FL dealer yeast, and a ton of contacts by other dealers, who didn't have what I wanted. I have used a variety of sites for research, trader.com, car guru, cars.com and couple others to see what's around. I recently found truecar, not sure if that's a "no contact covid upstart or if they've been around. At any rate I got "offers" from some dealers thru that site. I'm probably going to drive down and look at the 2 3500 Laramie they have. One without the HO motor is the same red as my SRW. The other, with the HO and AISIN is the same white at my 1500 I got last spring but with black interior. That would make 3 white vehicles in my garage. Never done that before as I usually have more color imagination. Maybe the neighbors will think I'm a "white supremacist". Since my towing requirements don't and highly unlikely will need the advantages of the HO and AISIN, the regular/red one will work. Besides I like a lighter color interior living in the south. Couple minor differences like bumper step but otherwise very similarly appointed.

Just for grins I'll take appropriate paperwork with me "in case" they make an offer I can't refuse. But I'll make it difficult because the aux tank and B&W hitch are in the bed. I plan to keep the tank since it's unlikely they will plus up the trade-in $1K+. Aux tank is nearly empty but main fuel tank plumb full. I'll try and siphon some out for the tractor before I go.

EDIT; siphoning didn't work. I understand vehicles have a baffle or block in the filler to stop just what I tried. Oh well, fuel isn't as expensive now anyway.

David I don't know where you are looking in FL but I bought mine in Tallahassee. I usually just tell the dealer "this is what I want" with a list of must haves then nice to haves. Let them do the search. The dealer I used ended up finding my truck in St. Augustine and had it brought in for me. At that time they had a pretty good selection of HD trucks (end of last year) and were bound by the employee + pricing from FCA so I didn't have to deal real hard.

Instead of using those services that you mentioned (don't know how they get paid but figure if they refer you to a dealer someone gives them something; I assume in the end out of the buyer's pocket) I just pick dealerships that 1) might have something I want and 2) are in a place I think I might go spend a day or 2 - within a 2-300 miles. But, I have the time and don't mind pulling their websites to look at inventory. I will note this, I don't know how it is in AL but when I was buying the truck and trailer at the end of last year neither the truck dealers or RV dealers in TX could match the FL pricing.