View Single Post
Old 09-27-2020, 01:40 PM   #19
JJaxon

As you know, we conversed a bit about my recent trade. I too was in the research mode, really just looking to see what was out there to compare to what I had. I am not an impulse buyer, but I am a need over want rules. My trade in was a '19 SRW LB 4x4 CC CTD Laramie. I wanted to see what I could gain by trading up to the dually. I had 27k miles (in 1.5 yrs) so tire replacement was coming by spring, on my '19 when I traded, it had a recent ding in the front bumper and a new expensive ding in the tailgate. While looking I got a repair estimate on fixing those, $4k. The body shop estimator told me if Im trading dont mess with the repairs, it won't matter, and he was right. I got more for my trade than I expected and the "Buy New" rebates are out there, in some zip codes. I was up front about the dings, nothing changed. I gained 1400lbs in payload, and some new bells and whistle for the '20. Ultimately, I gained in confidence that when I hit the big road and deal with marginal load limits, wind control and ??? I do think the turn radius is a bit tighter on the dually. Might be the 17.5" tires vs. 20", I'm not sure, but it feels like a tighter turn. My '20 has the 4:10 rear end, my 19 had the 3:73, both have the 68RFE trans.

I thought about air bags to level the squat, axle ratings, tires, headlights shining high, but the 1st and foremost reason was available payload, for me. When I found this truck using Car Gurus app, I knew the dealership and salesman was already in my phone.

As for the fuel pumps, and other maintenance items that may or may not factor in, I didn't see that as a concern for me. My daily driver has 2 wheels and is easier to park in tight spaces. With the warranties as good as they are, and as many Ram trucks as there are on the road, I dont think any mechanical issues will go without a fix. I do have my services done as prescribed.

I was told to go big,,, order the ultimate truck, blah blah blah,, but that wasn't necessary for me. As for used vs. new, I wouldn't go more than 2 years old, but then I'd ask myself, what has this used truck been through to be for sale. Buying new was a confidence factor too. Any issues, it's covered. My biggest fear for a used truck was did someone try to delete this, gone wrong, then they traded, or some nightmarish thing like that. New was for me, because I can afford the hit, and nothing to keep me awake or on the side of the road when I shouldn't be.

If you need a push to keep looking, I'll say you can find the truck you need, it's out there. Then its just a matter of spending the money.

No regrets from me. Now I get to accessorize with Amp running boards, aux fuel tank, etc, again.
2018 Honda Goldwing DCT Tour
Andersen Ultimate hitch
Youtube channel - Wingin' it with John