View Single Post
Old 09-26-2020, 07:55 AM   #7
chunker

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
There's a "similar thread" currently discussing the same issue, but in the half ton segment... There, it's the V-6 1500 vs the V-8 1500... General consensus is that "upgrading the powerplant" doesn't gain much in overall towing capacity, when there's only a "modest" payload increase, even though the GCWR goes up several thousand pounds....

Seems like what you're contemplating is a similar "TV upgrade" in the 1 ton SRW category.... Will gaining a couple/few hundred pounds of payload and possibly the same in RAWR provide "enough additional capacity to offset the investment in dollars" ????

Much the same question, with, IMHO, very similar suggestions forthcoming: Buying in the same truck segment will produce similar results, just with upgraded truck features....

So, if I were investing "thousands in a truck upgrade" I'd want that money to do as much as possible for me. That, to me, means a truck upgrade not a segment upgrade... Cut to the chase and upgrade to a dually. Your choice of years (Bosch issues) and option levels may dictate the actual vintage and cost, but capacity wise, upgrading to a dually will resolve the "careful monitoring of weight capacity".....
John in my original post I said I was contemplating going back to a dually, it's just the equipment that that I need to decide on. For my creature comforts I prefer the Laramie which puts it in the mid/upper amenity range. I really don't want some of the stuff on the Limited or things like sunroof, power side steps and such. Nor do I want to "rough" it in a Tradesman and that level. My SRW 3500 Laramie has the lower hp and torque motor with the 68RFE transmission and it handles the trailer very nicely. That 19 Laramie I looked at yesterday had the same power train and the door sticker was 5800+# with is a 1600# gain over my SRW. At my stage in life I seriously doubt that I'll be buying a trailer that would need the full capabilities of the high hp engine and AISIN tranny. I'm not concerned about hp bragging rights either. The RAWR on that dually was 9750 which is a 2750# gain from my SRW. I'm certainly not looking at segment upgrade and that additional capacity would mean not having to download to stay within limits. I frankly expected, and hoped, for more of a weight transfer off the pin when I loaded the garage.

Reference the Bosch fuel pump in the 19 and later, I read some more and it seems to be after 100K miles and related to potential lax fuel maintenance as in not changing filters. The other issue stated was pump lubrication since it was developed in Europe which has different diesel supposedly. But I have a hard time accepting that Cummins would deliberately use a substandard pump for the USA market. At any rate if I get a low mileage, I'm unlikely to put over that 100K since it's not a daily driver and I'm not a full-timer. And I do maintenance.
2019 Harley Davidson Heritage Classic 114 (the toy)