View Single Post
Old 09-26-2020, 02:11 AM   #2
Snoking

Quote:
Originally Posted by chunker View Post
I posted this on a more general forum also so for internet wanderers it may look familiar.

Current tow vehicle is the 2017 RAM 3500 with the normal output diesel and 68RFE 6 speed transmission. 4WD, LB, CC. I pull either a 39 foot Crusader bunkhouse 5th wheel GVWR around 14K or a 38' Toyhauler with GVWR of 17K but loaded to 15,8K for travel. Scales weight. For the Raptor TH I'm at what I describe at the ragged edge of cargo capacity and RAWR. Careful loading and I'm under tire rating and if not careful man much as 200 over RAWR. Scale weights, not guessing. To achieve that I have everything heavy and as much as possible in the garage and minimal fresh water and about 1/2 load fuel in the aux tank of 51g capacity. Loaded the truck squats where either I need to adjust headlights or put air springs of to correct squat. OR get truck 2 or 3

Since I have chased the golden goose, ( ideal tow vehicle) before, this exercise isn't anything particularly new. So looking for a dually again. Ideally a newer model RAM CC LB, big tank, 4WD and Laramie trim. In 2019 RAM did an overhaul and significant update to their HD trucks. Requirements are low miles, lighter color in and out, no sun roof, puck system. Debating on the "normal 6.7l diesel with the 68RFE 6 speed or the HD versions with the AISIN transmission. Both are very capable and obviously the HD versions have more HP and torque, actual number vary with year but for 2020 it's 375/800 vs 400/1000. Previous years a bit lower example 2017 370/800 vs 385/900.

The 68RFE gets good reviews for towing and strength as does the AISIN. This last trip from south AL up to ND I averaged 9+mpg except in SD with 20g30 head winds, then 7.

For the participators, looking for how people feel about a lightly used 19 standard engine, overpriced, or search for a suitable 20 with the HD diesel and AISIN. I can continue to operate on the raged edge but within limits, or say screw it, get the dually and load what I want up to a point. I currently have a 51g aux tank which gives me a lot of fueling flexibility and choices. The one used 19 has a 100g tank the will barely allow the 5th wheel hitch to fit. That's a lot of fuel on board.
______
The 2019+ RAMs have the CP4-2 Bosch injection pump. Personally the newest RAM I would want is a 2018, and if towing heavy, then a:

Dually
Aisin
4.10 gears
rear air suspension
Pucks can be added, I did it on my 2015 myself
Laramie, Limited or Longhorn
Titan replacement fuel tank