View Single Post
Old 09-16-2020, 07:45 PM   #15
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJaxon View Post
What is the break in period specifically? I asked the dealer and he didn't know of any. I have not had time to look in the manual, but I will tomorrow.
According to RAM, the Cummins engine does not require a "break-in regimen" but there's a note that directs the owner to the Towing section where this CAUTION is found (on page 329):

"To promote proper break-in of your new vehicle drivetrain components, the following guidelines are recommended. Perform the maintenance listed in the “Scheduled Servicing”. Refer to “Scheduled Servicing” in “Servicing And Maintenance” for the proper maintenance intervals. When towing a trailer, never exceed the GAWR or GCWR ratings.
CAUTION!
 Do not tow a trailer at all during the first 500 miles (805 km) the new vehicle is driven. The engine, axle or other parts could be damaged.
 Then, during the first 500 miles (805 km) that a trailer is towed, do not drive over 50 mph (80 km/h) and do not make starts
at full throttle. This helps the engine and other parts of the vehicle wear in at the heavier loads."

On my Ford, I was told by a friend who worked in the design center that the biggest issue was not "engine break-in" but "drive train break-in"... Seems the axles and drive shaft/U-joints are the "tender spots that need to wear in properly to avoid future problems".....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote