View Single Post
Old 07-19-2020, 11:19 AM   #33
crk112

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
But you could tow a "carefully balanced 11,500 pound flatbed trailer with concrete weights on it (like Ford does for the SAE certifications)... Far too many people "lump all trailers into the same category"... There are "trailers that can be loaded easily to balance tongue weight, there are trailers that experience minimal sidewind movement, there are trailers that "flow smoothly behind a aerodynamic truck" and then there are "big square boxes that invalidate everything about the above categories"....

Travel trailers and "Ford trailer limits" are two entirely different animals.... Sort of like saying, I like pickles and then trying to drink a gallon of vinegar. They might taste a little alike, but they sure aren't the same thing.....

Absolutely a fair point... the camper is the only large trailer I pull with the truck. But isn't a "well-balanced" trailer still supposed to be 10-15% on the tongue whether it's a TT or pallets of bricks? An 11.5k trailer full of bricks with 15% on the tongue would exceed my usable payload by several hundred pounds as well as the rear axle gross weight. The Ecoboost sits on the same exact frame and drivetrain right?

In my case the truck came first and we fell into the RV dealer trap of simply comparing trailer gross weight with tow capacity... luckily it could be a lot worse; I can stay under all the limits if the truck is empty (besides me, full fuel, and toolboxes). The rest of the family has to ride in my wife's truck. "Upgrading" to an Ecoboost would not improve that situation for me, and I bet I'm not alone.

In the end, the Ecoboost is still just a half-ton "light duty" truck.
"The Cabin v2" 2016 Jayco Greyhawk 31DS
Fastway e2 round bar WDH
crk112 is offline   Reply With Quote