View Single Post
Old 07-12-2020, 08:42 PM   #37
travelin texans

For 13+ years had 2 different GMC diesels, an '05 no DEF & a '13 with DEF, as daily drivers with 300k+ miles between them, short trips, long trips & approximately 130k miles towing, never had a major issue on either. The '05 had the 5 speed Allison, the '13 had the 6 speed, both had 3.73 rearends, both got 9-13mpg towing 40' 16.5k 5th wheels & 15-17 unloaded.
Towed a tractor/brushog on a gooseneck, weighing less than my 5er, at work for an entire summer with a 1 ton Ford V10 that had decent power, til in the hills, but at the cost of fuel economy, 6-8mpg with a 26 gallon tank, I didn't pass up many gas stations, would never tow anything over about 10k lbs ever again with a gasser.
As mentioned the DEF was a PITA to fill with the port under the hood, but it could go 3-3.5k miles before needing a 2.5 gallon jug so not a big deal. Routine maintenance from my experience was very little more than a gasser as the oil change intervals were 10k miles or once year. Nowadays any maintenance regardless if diesel or gasser is going to be expensive, not much on the newer ones for us shade tree'rs without a diagnostic computer hanging on a limb.
If you plan on traveling in the mountains regularly get the 1 ton diesel Chevy (also a GM guy), drive it like you stole it & go enjoy the experience.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote