View Single Post
Old 07-12-2020, 02:12 PM   #21
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigToe View Post
Thanks sourdough. I’m pretty much set on the 1 ton now even though I really have no idea what camper I will get but it gives me more options. Any idea about the claims of short commutes with diesel? Like i said most of the time I’ll just be going back and forth to work. Maybe one trip a year to Colorado. I’m leaning towards gas just to avoid any emission stuff but right now I’ve not purchased anything so I’m open to a lot of options.

I have no clue if Forest River campers are even any good but guess that’s a completely different discussion.

By the way the rear end in the new Chevy gassers are 3.73.

With where you're at in the process I would definitely be looking at the 1 tons. If Chevy only offers a 3.73 I would also be worrying about that with a 5th wheel. My last truck had the same engine as this one with a 3.73 (plus a 6 speed vs the new 8 speed) and the 4.10 makes a ton of difference in towing performance. I would not have put that 3.73 on a 5th wheel.

I don't own a diesel by choice, simply because I don't want to pay the 10k up front and don't, well didn't, need the torque, DEF and all the other associated "stuff". So far this truck has handled this trailer fine but I was thoroughly convinced when I left for FL I would be running down a diesel; I was pleasantly surprised.

If you stay in the weight range of the trailer you linked to the Chevy would probably be just fine. Don't know what kind of tranny is in the new HD trucks but I'm sure they have been upgraded from a few years back.

As far as Forest River products....do your research. All RVs have issues and FR has their share. After repeated issues little brother got rid of his. And that brings up another really good point; make a deal with a GOOD dealer, not just somebody that sells RVs. Check them out really well. They can make, or break, your RV experience as happened with my brother.
sourdough is online now   Reply With Quote