View Single Post
Old 07-12-2020, 07:17 AM   #20
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badbart56 View Post
California just passed a bill that will phase out commercial diesel trucks over the next 25 years. (can our RV tow vehicles be far behind?) It will first start by denying registration for trucks built before 2011 and will end by denying any new diesels sold by 2045. So by doing this it's clear that they expect electric trucks to have advanced enough to do what the present commercial trucks are capable of now. I say this with a smirk on my face because even in 25 years I'm VERY skeptical that this will be possible. My wife and I are team drivers. I run about 600-700 miles a night and she takes over and runs about 500-600 miles during the day. (The difference is due to more traffic during daylight hours.) We can refuel Once a day and refueling usually takes about 15-20 minutes. First of all, how much battery weight is going to be required to move an 80K pound gross weight across the highways and up the mountains on a rig this heavy? Empty weight on my present rig (tractor and reefer trailer) is 38400 pounds. So my max load is 41600 pounds. I can't begin to imagine the battery power it would take to move 80K pounds 70-80 mph down a highway. Secondly, there is no way you're going to recharge this much battery in the same time period it would take to refuel the diesel truck. And the range? Do you think someone could make a battery that could move this much weight 700 miles in one charge? That's around 10-11 hours drive time. I think they've set some lofty goals. Some of you engineer types may have some insight? I have my doubts that they will be able to get a car to go that far let alone a 40 ton truck.
The first word in your post says it all.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote