View Single Post
Old 06-28-2020, 02:40 PM   #44
seymour presents

Chevy 1/2 ton

Hey, I didn't read through all of the responses so hopefully I'm not repeating something but I had a 19 Silverado 1/2 ton. We bought a 2020 31BHKWE which is in the 7500 lb range. Not a fifth wheel though. We were going to get another model (don't remember which one) that was about 8500lbs. The dealer said that it was pushing the limits even though my truck also said 9800lbs rated. They said they would deliver it to our destination but after that we were on our own. So we changed to the 31BHKWE.

Anyway, I drove it off the lot and it had plenty of power. BUT it was a white knuckle drive to our storage area, about 15 miles. So I went and had airbags installed. Cured the vague steering but absolutely destroyed the ride quality.

All of this is to say that I think Chevy, and all the auto manufacturers are being very optimistic on their tow ratings, at least with the 1/2 tons. While the 19 would have done the job, it would have been a struggle at times and definitely wore it out prematurely.

Thankfully we were in a position to buy a bigger truck, a 2500 HD. If I would have known we were going to et a bigger truck, we would have gotten a bigger trailer.
seymour presents is offline   Reply With Quote