View Single Post
Old 06-23-2020, 04:44 PM   #17
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate805 View Post
Way too much trailer on my opinion. I had a 2014 GMC Sierra 1500. 5.3L with 3.42 gears. I swapped the gears for 4.10, tuned the truck and put a super spring in it. That all improved the towing but at 8,500lbs loaded, my travel trailer was too much for truck. I was within all tow specs: payload, axle, bumper pull, GCVWR, etc.. but my truck would get way too hot climbing hills (live in CA and go to the Lou rains with 6% grades). The truck also could not stop the trailer very well. I had to use the trailer breaks much more than I liked to slow everything down.

I eventually sold my 1500 and switched to a 2020 GMC Sierra AT4 HD. It’s a 6.6L Duramax with 3,100 lbs of payload and can tow 18,500 lbs. I thought I was safe in my old truck at the upper end of the limits. Driving the new truck and trailer across the country in snow, ice, rain, wind and through mountains, I can tell my old truck was not very stable or safe. Long story short. Don’t exceed your limits, even with aftermarket stuff. Leave plenty of room below your limits. You’ll enjoy towing much better, your truck will love much longer and you’ll be safe (most important).

Nate you are so on point!

If anyone read back on my posts from years ago you would see that guy that absolutely would not buy an HD truck (I didn't like them - think 1980s early 90s). I loved my 1/2 tons and was going to do whatever it took to pull "whatever" so I didn't give them up. Bad decision. Bought our previous trailer knowing I was maxing out but also knowing I could "add" stuff and "make it better"...and I did.

The problem for me was the knowledge; that I was maxed out; towing just over my limit even if it "towed fine" as I posted on this forum. One long trip cross country, worrying about every semi coming up on me, watching DW traveling along feeling safe because she trusts me implicitly - I was sick, literally. The minute I got home I found a HD truck that I liked even though I was absolutely positive I would detest it. Whoa! Not only did the truck not beat me up like I thought, all that "it drives just fine"? That was bologna! No comparison pulling that trailer with the 1/2 ton then the 3/4.....did I say NO comparison? Just a fact. As has been said on this forum many times "you just don't know what you don't know"....and that is very true.

Anyone pulling a larger trailer, close to maxed out with a 1/2 ton just doesn't know what they don't know and how they are not only endangering themselves and others but wearing out their vehicle - there IS a better way.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote