Thread: scale confusion
View Single Post
Old 06-10-2020, 03:00 PM   #40
wiredgeorge

Quote:
Originally Posted by xrated View Post
Well, while we are on a temporary "detour" here, talking about Spyders, my '19 is the first one that I've ever owned....been on two wheels for almost 50 years. I knew when I bought it that one of the weaknesses of them is still the front sway bar. I made several engine breakin runs without the wife onboard, and knew about 99.0% that it was going to have be replaced. So on the ride with her on the back (105 lbs) I was pushing it into the corners pretty hard and the sway was pretty bad. I came home from that ride and ordered the BajaRon sway bar and installed it a day or two after it came in. The new sway bar is absolutely night and day difference between it and stock. The 1330 definitely has some get up and go, but I'm not easily impressed as I've been on high H.P. sportbikes for the last 20+ years. Those bikes will pull the front wheel up at well over 100+ mph in third gear. I've actually wheelied on the track at over 140 mph, so the Spyder is pretty tame compared to that type of bike, but for a 1000 lbs of three wheel motorcycle, it does move out pretty well. My wife is comfortable, has lots of room on the pillion seat, and is overall very happy with it. I'm getting a lot more comfortable on learning to ride it vs. two wheels, so I'm enjoying it a lot too. We'll be taking it with us out west next year when we visit the Grand Canyon, Zion, Bryce, and then to Moab, and I'm looking forward to seeing the views out there on a more relaxed type bike.

Sorry for the detour, and back on the scale conversation.
If you ever get to the Texas Hill Country let me know. Will let you take your missus out with you on my Roadsmith (GL1800) conversion. The Spyder I had had the 990cc buzzy engine with tepid power but made a lot of noise. I did the same sway bar plus changed the shocks to performance shocks (can't recall name but it was four letters and started with an E I think). That helped buy my missus and I both had gotten spoiled on a Goldwing trike in the past. I have been riding for over 50 years and never much cared for sport bikes but love vintage bike; sold my last last year, a 1980 GS1000G and it was a great bike but two wheels are getting sketchy for me (vertigo and old). Still love to ride the trike.
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote